Best Ever Banana Cake
Crumb Coat Cakes: Going Bananas, Again!
The Best Ever Banana Cake recipe makes such a beautiful layer cake, that this isn't quite the way I envisioned sharing it. But, I guess that's how I roll...anything goes!
Thrown together last minute, this cake was my response to the indecisiveness of one of the dear teenagers in my life.
Nothing decorated, I'll just have a cookie cake...no...an ice cream cake...no a chocolate cake...no...hmm...maybe a banana cake.
Banana cake? I'll give you a banana cake, and a monkey to boot!
OK, are you ready?
I'm about to change your life...well, that's if you like banana cake of course.
The following recipe is one of my "secret recipes", that a little part of me hates to share (oh c'mon, we all have a recipe or two that we would love to keep to ourselves, letting everyone think that no one can make it quite as good). But the thing is, it's not really a secret considering I found it on the internet a few years back. Unfortunately, I can't give credit where credit is due, as I've had this recipe for so many years now. However, when googled, it can be found on many different websites, including Food.com.
Best Ever Banana Cake
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
11. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
12. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
13. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
14. Spread on cooled cake.
15. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.
No adjustments needed. Trust me, it's perfect!